Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dear Black Education News

Dear Black Education News,

I am a single African-American male middle school teacher. I have been teaching for 8 years. I entered the profession right out of college. Because I am youthful, many of my students’ parents flirt with me. I mentor male students in an after-school program. Many of their mothers have approached me for dates or told me that I was attractive. When this happens, I just smile and politely change the subject. I haven’t told anyone about this because I do not want my professional integrity to be questioned; I take my career seriously and I enjoy mentoring young black men. Some of these women are my age, and a few are younger. Although we are peers, I would never feel comfortable dating a parent. How do I maintain my relationship with my students without breaking anyone’s heart?

-Not sure what to do,
Detroit, MI



Dear Not sure what to do,

You have to continue to be a professional. You are doing the right thing by politely changing the subject. Dating parents is never a good idea because it leads to a bad reputation. In our profession, image is everything. You don’t want to ever compromise your career for misconduct. As educators, we have an obligation to our students and their parents to demonstrate good work ethics and moral character. Young black men need a role model like you to demonstrate professionalism and tact. Young black men already have too many images of other black men as pimps. Don’t add to it. Keep all romantic relationships outside of school. When these women approach you, be assertive and gently let them know that you do not in any circumstances date parents. Some of the mothers will give you attitude because you are not interested in them, but at least you will have their respect for not playing with their hearts.

-Black Education News


Need advice or have a testimony? Email short letters to: blackeducationnews@gmail.com with Dear Black Education News in the subject.

1 comment:

Critical thinker said...

Excellent information and reading material for our African American educational leaders. I understand you are a doctor now...congratulations and know that critical thinker is inspired. Keep the progressiveness moving.